DVD19 (for dvd) VHS19 (for vhs)
Length of Video(in Minutes):
Released October 1st, 2007
Black Mountain Safety & Health, Inc.
This video discusses the many aspects of radiation safety for sealed sources as follows:
- Sealed sources are used for many purposes, especially in the medical field, for industrial uses and for geological exploration
- Basic radiation safety practices for sealed sources include the following: (1) Never handle sources with your bare hands (2) Keep sources shielded (3) Monitor the sources with measurement devices (4) Use good storage practices (5) Secure sources during transport
- High Radiation Area – Should be posted with signs and alarmed. For first responders, a description of the source is optional but useful. Posting is required by regulation.
- Inventory and Leak Tests – Both must be done every six months. Separate records must be kept for leak testing and inventory. Leak test records cannot be used as inventory records.
- Inventory can be done in instruments such as scintillation counters by confirming that it is working properly – no need to dismantle.
- If source is leaking, notify regulators and store leaking source in safe manner.
- Leaking is confirmed by activity above 185 Bq or 11,100 dpm. Must show that this activity can be measured above background.
- Regulatory Requirements – Need training specific to the irradiator. Ancillary workers and First Responders need training – First Responders need to know where source is and level of risk.
- Security – Make sure sources cannot be stolen or lost.
- Plan for emergencies – use shielding if needed, lead is best but soil can be used too – 4 inches of soil is equal to 1 inch of lead.
The program is packaged with 10 training certificates, and a reproducible quiz.
Our Radiation Safety Videos Are Now Available Online
These radiation safety videos are now available online.
To purchase online access please visit the following training portal:
- Watch at your own pace
- One-time payment
- Lifetime access
All online video training includes:
- Most sections have accompanying quizzes.
- Each course has a graded final exam (except for Radiation & Pregnancy for Patients and Radiation Safety for Non-Radiation Workers).
- Upon completion of the course each trainee is given a Certificate of Completion to download or print.
- Multiple user discounts are also available upon request.
For more information about multiple user purchases and applicable discounts please contact us directly at [email protected]